Tuesday, 20 January 2009

Obama Inauguration (Comment 1)

This party cost $140 million to American taxpayers. So far, it's been quite dull. The hungover will begin tomorrow so, no worries.

I found very emotional the cheering and the applauds when the crowd heard the name Barack Obama announced. The most amazing aspect of every and each of these dull ceremonies is the expression of spectators. I have seen a few inaugurations in my life as a journalist, but one that I remember very fondly was the Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva inauguration on Jan. 1, 2003 in Brasilia -- how it sparked such sense of optimism across Brazil was wonderful ... it was a beautiful day. It was the day of people.

Such a pity his government turned into the incubus it is today.

Changing subject, was it my impression, but did Aretha Franklin sing a bit out of key?

No comments:

Post a Comment