Saturday, 18 April 2009

The Future is Uncertain, The End is Always Near

Dear Readers of Market Memorandum:

After 10 months of much-needed relax and reflexion, I was offered a job at an international company. I took it, I didn't have to ponder much about it. I stopped adding new stuff in the blog since April 8, when I formally joined that company, and for that I owe you an apology. In recent days, and I don't mean this to sound as an excuse, I have also been busy coordinating my move, sorting out some personal problems and especially, getting myself focused on this new responsibility. I am sure you do understand that.

I don't know if my new employer will allow me to carry on with this blog. Perhaps it will under certain conditions, perhaps it will not. Since the future for this space of opinion and news is uncertain, I have to say that the end to it might be closing in too. For the past three months I enjoyed doing this and some very nice readers, especially my very good friends Carlos Puyo and Hans Paul Tobler, encouraged me to kick it off. Early in December, Otto Rock and Fernanda Sofio, my sweetheart for years, helped me start with this project. At some point the blog had 400 hits a day and the readership was growing rapidly in late March. I was very pleased because it was a sincere effort to bring to all of you the news that mattered in these turbulent markets as well as data that readers might have no easy access to. I really hope you readers enjoyed this.

But this space wasn't only created to discussing market stuff. We also wrote about social issues, poetry, music. I was surprised by the very warm response of yours about some of this stuff. My sincere gratefulness to all of you who participated and shared your opinions with me and the other readers. I will be grateful forever. There were comments, especially about markets and politics, that were harsh and many times I was shocked by the rudeness of some comments. I have no reason to hold any grudges to them: when you write about sensitive stuff you have to be ready to get passionate, or maybe rude, responses from your readers, who are in the end the last destination of your writing pieces and your very judges. So, to all those who were rude at some point, my thankfulness goes too -- you guys taught me to think better the stuff I was putting in.

Well, I might also have to stop with this blog because I need to focus on my new life -- it's a new career in a new town. Blogging requires a lot of time and if you are to do this responsibly you need to give it the time it needs. It's like a little kid. I learned that from Otto Rock, whom I respect a lot. Blogging requires the utmost attention. I am not sure I am able to blog at this point.

Thanks to Fernanda, Otto, Jim, the Carioca Grouch, Anna Pérez (my very friend and a person who also found this effort useful for her work,) my friend Elzio Barreto in São Paulo, Toby Muse, and other bloggers such as Fausta, Genovieve Signoret, Miguel Octavio ... I run the risk of forgetting names. Occasional readers included lots of former colleagues at Bloomberg, Dan Shirai of LatinFinance (to whom I owe a lot professionally-wise,) my colleagues and bosses at the market intelligence companies I used to work for. Thanks to all.

One last thing. There is one person I cannot mention by name -- for work and personal reasons -- who was a constant source of inspiration when writing this blog. Since the very first time we talked, that person always allowed me to see the other side of the coin. Every story has two sides. We know that. The person's clarity and very rational points of view, the person's pursuit of objectivity and always warm speech helped to make that concept much clearer. I wanted to recall that enlightening conversation we had about Evo Morales, a chat that helped change my views radically about the situation in Bolivia. I have to thank that person for her continuous stimulus and encouragement, and the time we shared exchanging views about the world, life and things.


It's all over -- for now.

Thanks a lot,

Guillermo Parra-Bernal

2 comments:

  1. good luck in this new phase!!! send NEWS!!! big kiss, gitchma, your follower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words, Guillermo.

    Wishing you continued success in your new job, and please stay in touch.

    ReplyDelete